Targets: Steadiness, core, hamstrings
The half moon yoga pose (Ardha Chandrasana) is a standing, balancing pose that is significantly difficult. It is an intermediate pose, so ensure you realize your yoga fundamentals and are capable of do Triangle Pose earlier than you try Half Moon. In a circulate sequence, you’ll go from Triangle to Half Moon to Downward Dealing with Canine.
This transfer strengthens the ankles and thighs, stretches the hamstrings. It improves your stability and core energy. If you’re a runner, tight hamstrings are sometimes an issue and yoga poses comparable to Half Moon might be helpful. Most sports activities and every day actions profit by higher stability and a robust core, particularly as you age.
- Start in Triangle Pose (trikonasana) with the fitting leg ahead. Bend your proper knee softly and produce your left hand to your hip.
- Deliver your proper hand to the ground in entrance of your proper foot. Your hand ought to be underneath your shoulder when you find yourself within the full pose, so with the intention to set it up within the appropriate place, place it a few foot in entrance of and 5 or 6 inches to the fitting of your proper foot. Tent your hand in order that simply your fingertips on the ground.
- Start to straighten your proper leg whereas concurrently lifting your left foot off the ground. Hold your left leg as straight as doable.
- Open your hips, stacking the left hip level on high of the fitting hip level.
- Deliver your left leg straight and parallel to the ground. Flex your left foot strongly with the toes pointing towards the left aspect of the room.
- While you really feel balanced on the fitting leg, attain the left arm up towards the ceiling, opening the chest and making a straight line with the fitting and left arms perpendicular to the ground.
- Lastly, flip your head in order that your gaze is lifted towards your upraised left fingertips.
- The stability right here for round 5 breaths earlier than releasing the left leg to the ground and repeating the pose on the opposite aspect.
Keep away from having your chest rotate towards the ground. A standard reason behind that is straining to succeed in the ground together with your hand. Putting a block underneath the fitting hand can provide the further elevation that enables the chest to open towards the ceiling extra successfully.
Modifications and Variations
Want a Modification?
It is OK when you take a number of steps in together with your left foot earlier than lifting it up as a substitute of 1 large step as described in step 3 above.
If balancing on one leg is a problem for you, do the pose close to a wall and produce your left foot to the wall while you elevate the left leg. That is additionally a great way to follow getting the left leg parallel to the ground.
Up for a Problem?
- Begin to take the load out of your proper hand till simply the tip of your center finger is touching the ground. You possibly can even hover the fitting hand a couple of inches off the ground. For those who do that, be certain to maintain your alignment strong in the remainder of your pose.
- Bend your left leg. Attain again and clasp your ankle together with your left hand for sugarcane pose.
Security and Precautions
Keep away from this pose when you have an damage to your legs, hips, shoulders, or again.
Strive It Out
Incorporate this transfer and comparable ones into certainly one of these common exercises:
- Circulate Sequence of Standing Poses
- Standing Steadiness Poses
- Yoga Poses to Stretch the Hamstrings
- The best way to Do Facet Lunge (Skandasana)